Facebook has become an integral part of many people’s lives. It is a great way to keep in touch with friends and family, but it can also be a huge time suck. If you find that you are spending more time on Facebook than you’d like, or if you simply want to take a break from the social media platform, you can deactivate your account. Deactivating your Facebook account is not the same as deleting it, and it is relatively easy to do.
How to deactivate a Facebook account temporarily
Here is how to deactivate a FB account:
- Open your Facebook application or go to the Facebook website. Then, Tap on “Menu” (three horizontal bars) on the top right of the page.
- Scroll down and tap Settings. You'll find it below the “Settings and Privacy” option.
- Tap in “Personal and account information” on the top.
- Again, Scroll down and tap “Account Ownership and Control” below Your Facebook Information.
- For deactivating your account tap “Deactivation and Deletion”.
- Here you'll find two options. Choose “Deactivate account”.
- You're just one step away from deactivating your Facebook account. Now, enter your FB password and click “Continue”.
What happens when you deactivate a Facebook Account
According to Facebook, when you deactivate your account:
No one else will be able to see your Facebook profile.
Your FB friends may still see your name in their friends list. In this case, your name will only be visible to your friends, and only from their friends list.
Some information may still be visible. ( e.g. the messages you sent to friends)
Group admins may still be able to see your posts and comments, along with your name.
You will not be able to use your Facebook account. But you can still use Messenger to chat with someone, if you don’t deactivate Messenger too.
Pages that are controlled by only you( is there is no other admins) will also be deactivated. If your Page is deactivated, people can’t visit your Page or find your Page if they search for it. If you don’t want to keep your Page activated, you can give someone else full control of your Page. You’ll then be able to deactivate your account without deactivating the Page.
How to reactivate a Facebook account
If you want to return to Facebook after you’ve deactivated your account, you can just reactivate your account at any time by logging back into Facebook or by using your Facebook account to log in somewhere else. To reactivate, you’ll need to have access to the email address or mobile number that you use to log in.
If you still have questions regarding how to deactivate your Facebook account. Don’t hesitate to put them in the comment box.